L-5-MTHF - 60 lozenges
- Categories: Vitamins & Immune System
- L-methylfolate as Quatrefolic®
- Active, methylated form of folate
- Benefits the cell division process*
- Contributes to normal blood formation*
- 1000 mcg of folate per lozenge
- 60 lozenges
- Personal advice & shipping always within 12 hours!
- Questions about this product? Call +3124 - 663 53 66 or chat with us
- More Information
- Product categories
L-5-MTHF by Seeking Health
Seeking Health’s L-5-MTHF is a source of the bioactive, methylated form of folate, offered in the form of Quatrefolic®, the fourth generation folic acid. This form is known for its bioavailability, safety and stability. It contains 1000 mcg of folate per lozenge. Folate is a water-soluble B vitamin naturally found in foods such as citrus fruits, dried beans and peas. This methylated form (L-5-MTHF) does not require metabolic conversion within the body, which is particularly beneficial for people with absorption or metabolic problems. Are you looking for a non- methylated form of folate that is still well-absorbed by the body? Consider Seeking Health’s Folic acid - Lozenges or Folinic acid - Capsules.
The importance of folate
Folate, also called vitamin B9 or B11, has a number of essential functions in the body. Folate contributes to normal cell division, supports the production of red and white blood cells, helps the immune system, contributes to mental resilience, helps fight fatigue, plays a role in the production and breakdown of homocysteine, and contributes to normal amino acid synthesis. In recent years, the active form of folic acid has become increasingly preferred over regular folic acid, because conversion of folic acid to 5-MTHF (the active form of folic acid) proves difficult in a relatively large number of people. In this supplement the choice has been for a methylated form of folate, which goes by many names, including L-methylfolate or L-5-MTHF. Side effects may occur when using L-methylfolate for the first time, so it is advisable to consult a doctor or specialist before use. Seeking Health’s lozenges are free of the most common allergens and are suitable for both vegetarians and vegans.
Evolution of epigenetics
In recent years, researchers have increasingly agreed that our DNA, or our genetic predisposition, is strongly influenced by environmental factors. For a long time it was thought that we could learn all about DNA if we just identified the over 25,000 genes. It has now become clear that the way in which our genes are expressed is not fixed, but that this is controlled by 'epigenomes': switches that can turn DNA 'on' or 'off', comparable to software that runs a computer. Epigenomes can be influenced by diet and other environmental factors, including lifestyle and environment. Epigeneticists study the changes in gene expression that occur at the epigenetic level. Epigenetics, then, is about changes in gene expression, without changes in the DNA sequence. It is a science that has evolved strongly in recent years and that focuses in particular on the process of methylation: the most important epigenetic process that takes place in our body.
- Per lozenge, contains 1000 mcg of folate in the methylated, stable form called L-5-MTHF, also known as Quatrefolic®
- L-5-MTHF does not require metabolic conversion within the body, which is particularly beneficial for people with absorption or metabolic problems
- Folate contributes to normal cell division, supports the production of red and white blood cells and helps the immune system
- Folate contributes to mental resilience, plays a role in the production and breakdown of homocysteine, and contributes to normal amino acid synthesis
- Suitable for vegetarians and vegans
- Free from milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, nuts, wheat and artificial coloring and flavoring substances
The Methylation Process
Every minute, trillions of methylation processes take place in all cells of our body, which in turn affect thousands of other bodily processes. Methylation is a controlled transfer of a methyl group primarily to proteins, amino acids, enzymes and DNA. Methylation is involved in the maintenance and repair of our DNA within our cells and tissues. Substances that have the ability to donate a methyl group are called methyl donors. B vitamins, vitamin C, biotin, zinc, folic acid and betaine, among other compounds, can function as a methyl donor. Methyl groups play an important role in gene expression, since they have the ability to switch our DNA on and off. It is not without reason that they are one of the most researched molecules in epigenetics. Research indicates that methylation responds to environmental factors and decreases with age. This has made the relationship between health and the ability to methylate a frontier research area.
Epigenetics & Seeking Health
Epigenetics refers to the myriad factors that influence our gene expression. The name epigenetics was coined in 1942 by biologist Conrad Waddington and literally means 'around the DNA', referring to the markers around the DNA that can turn genes on and off. The idea behind it is that the experiences, living conditions and nutrition of an organism have a major modulating influence on its genetic predisposition. For Dr. Ben Lynch, epigenetics stands for the power of our genes and for the fact that we are not our DNA, but that we can work with our genes and just need to know how to shape this cooperation. The Lynch method is therefore aimed at our DNA markers (also called SNPs or single nucleotide polymorphisms). By using supplements and making adjustments in diet and lifestyle, we can aim to 'clean up dirty genes', in Lynch's words.
About Seeking Health
From an early age, Dr. Ben Lynch, founder of Seeking Health, interested in the relationship between health and gene expression and has studied natural medicine, molecular biology and epigenetics, among other things. In his recent book Dirty Genes he describes how having 'contaminated' genes can be the cause of countless health problems and shows how you can optimize the functioning of your genes through the right diet and lifestyle. He helped in recent years thousands Clients, physicians and health care professionals in the use of these insights and is therefore currently one of the most consulted experts in the field of epigenetics.
* L- methylfolate is the active, methylated form of folic acid. Folic acid is good for the cell division process and contributes to normal blood formation
- Take 1 lozenge daily or as directed by your doctor.
- The lozenge can be broken into smaller pieces if a lower dosage is desired.
- Do not take within 5 hours of bedtime, as this may disturb sleep.
- Consult a doctor before use if you are taking antibiotics or other medications.
- Children and pregnant or lactating women should consult their doctor prior to use.
|Amount per serving||% DV|
|Folate (as Quatrefolic® (6S)-5-methyltetrahydrofolate, glucosamine salt)||1700µg DFE||425%|
** % Daily value not established.
Xylitol, ascorbyl palmitate, natural flavors, and silica.